International

Strike at Deutsche Welle

Strike at Deutsche Welle

24.9.2020

2nd warning strike by ver.di at both locations. Deutsche Welle's budget is guaranteed to increase in 2022, but so far there has been no concrete offer from Deutsche Welle's directorate: "The mere announcement that we will talk to each other again without making an offer does not do justice to the current situation," said ver.di negotiator Kathlen Eggerling. This was part of trustful cooperation.

As on 11.9. there were transmission failures in the news area. At both locations together up to 160 colleagues* participated. And this despite the fact that the two unions DJV and vrff, which had been involved in the negotiations, had shortly before withdrawn from the strike that had been jointly agreed upon and had unnecessarily distanced themselves from it in public.

The next negotiation date is on October 7.

 

11.9.2020

Bis zu 200 Kolleg*innen (die ursprünglich genannte Zahl von 120 wurde später weit übertroffen) haben sich am Standort Bonn an einem Warnstreik via Kommunikationssoftware beteiligt. In der zweistündigen Konferenz berichteten Kollegen aus Berlin vom gestrigen erfolgreichen Warnstreik. Vertreter der Gewerkschaften nahmen außerdem die Zahlen auseinander, die die Geschäftsleitung am Vortag präsentiert hatte. Es stellt sich heraus, dass ein Großteil der von der Deutschen Welle präsentierten Mehrausgaben längst bekannt waren, bevor die Pandemie zuschlug. Corona dient als Vorwand für Kürzungen. Vertreter*innen aller Gewerkschaften betonten, dass für ein Abweichen von den im Winter vereinbarten Eckpunkten daher kein Grund bestehe, zumal der Sender finanziell so gut ausgestattet sei wie seit langem nicht.

The management's demand to reduce the guaranteed offer to a 1% increase per year was therefore unanimously rejected. The director's populist strategy of exploiting the fate of the unemployed and short-time workers for his reduction plans is countered by the broad support that the strikers are currently receiving. Colleagues from his own environment were able to report on this.

 

10.9.2020

First warning strike at Deutsche Welle in Berlin: Between 12:00 and 14:15, 300 colleagues* on site stopped work, another 200 took part via digital channels. As a result of the strike, the hourly live broadcasts of Deutsche Welle's flagship, the English-language news channel, were cancelled between 12:00 and 14:00. This could also be read as one of the mottos on the wall in front of the channel: "No money, no news! At a rally in front of the station in Voltastraße, the three trade unions ver.di, DJV and vrff condemned Deutsche Welle's breach of promise and the attempt to pursue austerity measures under the guise of the Corona pandemic.


These signals were obviously also heard by the management, which has recently not shied away from manipulation, possibly in order to hinder the emerging successful industrial action and to sow discord among employees and unions. That, as the English-language edition of the Berliner Zeitung on September 10th, the trade union ver.di ended the collective bargaining in February ("Jumpelt said DW is ready at any time to re-enter talks and was surprised when Ver.di ended negotiations in February") is simply a lie. Rather, it is true that at the last negotiation meeting before the pandemic, management categorically refused to give the social component demanded by ver.di a chance and wanted to "examine" alternative considerations. At the request of the management, a follow-up date was then postponed to the end of March, which, as is well known, fell victim to the Covid 19 lockdown.

No one could have anticipated the Corona crisis, not even that it would interrupt the collective bargaining process. But: To abuse this crisis and its consequences such as short-time work and unemployment in order to halve the wage increase agreed upon in January is highly dishonest and not worthy of a station financed by public tax money.

.

 

3.9.2020

During an active lunch break in Bonn and Berlin, over 100 colleagues* gathered at both locations. The three unions ver.di, DJV and vrff had called for this. The Deutsche Welle does not want to know anything more about the 6.2% agreed upon before the Corona crisis and broke its word: only 3% will be guaranteed. Protest is being raised against this exploitation of the Corona pandemic. Industrial action is expected shortly.

 

25.08.2020

On August 25, 2020, over 80 colleagues* of Deutsche Welle in Berlin gathered for an active lunch break. This was called for by the three trade unions represented in DW: ver.di, DJV and VRFF.

As a reminder: The collective bargaining with DW had failed on August 17, 2020. Prior to this, the management had declared that it no longer felt bound by the key points agreed in January. Instead of the salary and fee increase of 6.2 percent for 33 months agreed there, DW now offered only 3 percent more. It justified this with the Corona pandemic.

Klaus Barm, member of the wage commission of ver.di, and Hanna Möllers, legal counsel of the German Journalists' Association, vehemently opposed this attempt to instrumentalize Covid-19. Dan Hirschfeld of the DJV's collective bargaining commission pointed out DW's unwillingness to negotiate seriously and find workable compromises.

Kathlen Eggerling, trade union secretary of ver.di, called on the management to return to the negotiating table with a serious offer.

As long as DW does not move, industrial action will be inevitable. Freelancers and permanent employees should and can participate in this - because everyone is equally affected. And quite clearly: no one should suffer disadvantages because of participation in a strike called by a trade union.

The active lunch break was a good start! The next actions follow...

Mittagspause KB Mittagspause Berlin